Mission & Vision
The mission of the college is based on the ethics of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji – ‘Nam Japna’ (recitation and to dwell on the name of true Lord), ‘Kirat Karna’ (importance and dignity of self-work) and ‘Vand Shakna’ (sharing of your resources with others) as a base and lay foundation to impart education and to shape human personality accordingly. To promote quality education and research was the mission of the founders of this college so that the students who are rural, poor, underprivileged and girls particularly can equip and excel in academics, sports, co-curricular and extra-curricular activities. The idea was to achieve an ideal blend of strong Indian philosophical base and to develop and build on it, quality edifice of education and knowledge on scientific and progressive lines.
Guru Nanak College, Sukhchainana Sahib, Phagwara came into existence, as significant part of an idea, which originated in whole of Punjab, on the fifth birth centenary of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji in 1969 AD, to perpetuate Guru’s mission to enlighten the masses, particularly in the domain of education and health. Thus, the college came into existence as a multi-faculty, post-graduate, co-educational institute in 1970 to bring this educational transformation, to cater primarily the rural, economically backward and underprivileged (SC/ST/Minorities/Migrants) sections of society. The intent was to bring transformation through education and awareness to strengthen them educationally at affordable cost and with output rich in quality. The vision in nutshell was to equip youth with such humanistic qualities and strengthen and empower the youth on firm footing, leading to a scientific, progressive and vibrant India.
- To impart qualitative education to the students as per their needs and as per their locale demands in which this institution is set-up. The objective is primarily human resource development and capacity building of individuals to cater the needs of the economy, society and country as a whole.
- To equip youth with job-oriented professional education at affordable cost but qualitative in nature so that global competencies can be fostered.
- To strengthen the students with attributes of personality enhancement like leadership qualities, confidence and competence building, work and to develop in different groups/situations by involving them in academic, sports and co-curricular activities. This will also serve cause of social justice and help in achieving the concept of equal opportunities to all.
- To strengthen social and moral values among the students by organising extension lectures of eminent resource persons to initiate awareness, campaigns to highlight social evils, to create awareness on significant concerns like environmental issues, tree plantation, blood donation and other social abuses. Thus value system will be inculcated among the students.
- To prepare the students for after exam activity i.e. for placement, preparedness through competitive exams or through direct placement so that their careers can be given proper direction and shape.
- To help the needy and meritorious students by granting them scholarships, liberal fee concessions, free books and other facilities so that the students belonging to rural and underprivileged sections of society can excel in education.
- To provide transport facility to the girl students of surrounding villages and of local town at a very nominal rate to enable them to pursue higher education for their better future.
- To save the youth from serious evils like drug abuse, a residential sports academy has been set-up in the college which provides totally free boarding, lodging and training facility to the promising sports persons.
- To organise life training programmes with prominent Government and Non-Government Organisations (NGOs) to make students face real life challenges without any difficulty. This collaboration will further expand a relationship between the ‘World of Skilled Work’ and the ‘World of Competent Learning’.
- Promotion of new technologies for teaching-learning activity for the quest of excellence in quality education alongwith promotion of core universal values like truth and righteousness among students.
Guru Nanak College, Sukhchainana Sahib, Phagwara, which came into existence with a dedicated mission, to transform society through education, on the fifth birth centenary of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji, is today a pioneer temple of higher education serving all the sections of society adequately and befittingly. The scenario of higher education is changing rapidly with stupendous challenges but I perceive our beloved institution has vast potentialities for growth and my dream is by the time of our coming golden jubilee, this institution of ours be one of the best in the country in the field of quality higher education.
The college has progressed significantly during the last five/six years both on, quantitative and qualitative fronts. The students’ strength has improved considerably and the university results improved dramatically with more than forty merit positions including university toppers. The teaching-learning resources have been significantly strengthened with establishment of hi-tech smart classrooms, new central library building and advanced library resources, new computer labs., new science labs., accounting lab., language lab., network resource centre, career counselling cell, new seminar/ audio-visual hall and strengthening of administrative services. To perpetuate the memory of our founder – S. Jagat Singh Palahi – and to promote sports among youth, a residential sports academy has been established and got registered with Punjab Football Association. Thus, the college has been making steady progress in academics, sports and extra-curricular activities.
In order to continue this progress saga, I solicit co-operation and support from all stakeholders – college managing committee, teaching and non-teaching staff, students, alumni, parents and general public – so that we march on and serve the youth adequately and suitably. Our united effort will surely bear fruit and transform society through education ushering in a new dawn of enlightenment, development, peace, bliss and prosperity.
Thanks and regards,
Dr. Gurdev Singh
Guru Nanak College, Sukhchainana Sahib, Phagwara, District Kapurthala, Punjab (India) is situated in the vicinity of historic Sikh Temple known as Gurudwara Sukhchainana Sahib, built up in the sacred memory of Guru Hargobind Sahib, the sixth Sikh Guru. The idea to setup the college originated in 1969 to perpetuate the fifth birth centenary of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji, the founder of Sikhism and the college came in to existence in 1970. Presently, it has become a leading ‘light house of knowledge’ in the area and has served the society around with qualitative all-round education and learning. It has an impressive campus comprising spacious building which houses smart classrooms, well-equipped various laboratories (Computer, Accounting, Language, Science Labs), Central Air Conditioned well-stocked Library, Book Bank, Seminar Hall, Auditorium, Multi-purpose sound-proof Hall, Guru Hargobind Sports Stadium, Indoor Courts, Modern Equipment for body buildings and Conditioning Center. The Institution has at present about 1300 students on its rolls and about 100 faculty members in various teaching and non-teaching departments. The college provides Education in Commerce and Management, Humanities and Arts, Science, Computer Science and IT Technology up to graduation and post graduation level. The college has envious record in sports. It has excelled in Football, Wrestling, Athletics, Boxing, Volleyball, Cricket, Tug of War, Badminton at the inter-college, inter-versity, State and National level tournaments. Similarly, in the extra curricular activities like Youth Festival, State/National level festivals, N.C.C, N.S.S, Guru Gobind Singh Study Circle, Subject Societies/Associations; the college has provided ideal platform to the students to develop their all-round personality and college has achieved a distinguished position in this respect also. Thus, college is brilliantly catering the quality educational demands of the area as visualized by our late Chairman of the Managing Committee, S. Jagat Singh Palahi and is now functioning under the able guidance of S. Jatinderpal Singh Palahi, President Managing Committee and dynamic leadership of Principal Dr. Gurdev Singh Randhawa. The three main components – The Management, The Principal and Faculty (Teaching and Non-Teaching)-has made a determined resolve for the upliftment of education and values in order to make the young minds enlightened ones and better human beings, thus fulfilling a great social cause.