The lush green campus of Guru Nanak College, Phagwara is spread over 8 acers in a beautiful and serene atmosphere ideally suited for teaching environment. College infrastructure is dynamic in nature because of college's constant attempt to maintain pace with the development. Over the years the college has made commendable efforts to improve the infrastructure .The infrastructure acts as a facilitator for the effective delivery of our curriculum. Our infrastructure reflects the winning attitude of our college; to excel in every field.
College provides following facilities to its students and staff members:
- Development in the college has assimilated technology into its folds.
- Fifty(50) spacious class rooms, out of which 8 are smart class rooms and 8 more have audio/visual aids.
- A spacious book library
- Two Audio-visual seminar halls for conducting workshop and seminar for students. These halls have sitting capacity of 100 and 150 persons each.
- An auditorium, with the capacity of 1200 students is available for extra curricular activities and college annual functions.
- A student cafeteria in 3000sq feet area, where more than 100 persons can sit and dine at a time.
- College has a stadium with a football ground, indoor badminton court and a Gym with modern equipments for athletes and sportspersons.
- Free lodging and boarding facility in college sports hostel, where players can stay over night and can enjoy healthy and delicious food.
- On the recommendation of Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC), every possible effort is made to provide infrastructure, teaching-learning aids, equipments, reprography etc. for the improvement of teaching learning process.
Science and Computer Science departments of Guru Nanak College are committed to provide best practice to the students in their respective fields. Moreover, the college takes care of Science and Computer Science laboratories in case of any need or replacement of equipments.
- College has two fully Air Conditioned computer labs with a capacity of more than 100 computers.
- Computers are connected with Local Area Network (LAN) and having up to 5Mbps (5 x 1Mbps) wired and wifi connection for internet service.
- A central database server is maintained to provide the central and easy approach not only to the students but to faculty also.
- College faculty members use Modern teaching methods like use of smart class rooms, audio visual aids, computer laboratories, science laboratories, language laboratory, network resource centre, advanced reprography with latest software and equipments.
- The Physics Lab is a spacious hall that can accommodate 30-35 students at a time.
- Lab activities and experiments engage students’ mind which help them to acquire necessary skills and confidence.
- The lab is equipped with the latest equipments catering to the course curriculum syllabus where students carry out their experiments in an innovative environment.
- Meaningful learning occurs where laboratory activities are well-integrated part of a learning sequence.
- The Chemistry lab is a well ventilated Hall and provides a clear and hygienic ambience to carry out experiments.
- The lab is annually upgraded with the latest equipments and safety gadgets.
The college has a rich library in which abundant number of books are available for use of the students. A good number of research/current journals are subscribed in the library for the teachers and students. Library is adequately stocked with books, journals etc. which are listed below:
|Total number of books||26522|
- Keeping the research point in mind, the library stock is significantly improved and customized with technology, particularly internet.
- Special Library facilities for the meritorious students, like book bank, where books are issued to them for full session.
- Laptops and reprography is made available to the teachers and students who show aptitude for research.
- Rs. 8 lakhs were spent on the purchase of books for the library.
- The covered area of library is 6000 Sq. Mtr
- Total Seating Capacity of Library – 100 Persons
- Library is available from 8 AM to 6 PM on all working days, before examination and during examination days. However, During vacations 9 AM to 4 PM .
- On holidays, it is closed.
Network Resource Centre
Since 1987, the University Grants Commission has been assisting colleges for procuring basic Information & Technology infrastructure like personal computers and other peripherals. In the X Plan, the UGC assisted them to establish “UGC NETWORK RESOURCE CENTRES (UGC-NRC)” and provided grants for the purchase of Computers and also for Internet Connectivity. During the XI Plan, it has been decided to continue to assist the college under the scheme.
Following are the objectives of the Network Resource Center:
- The objective of the scheme is to create awareness among students and to give exposure to staff and students about the use of computer in various activities, like, administration, finance, examination and research.
- The information and communication network would help the colleges to have an access to multimedia material in teaching and learning at places of eminence in India & Abroad.
- Guru Nanak college is composed with two seminar halls with the capability to handle 100 and 200 students respectively.
- These halls are chosen, depending on the nature of workshop or seminar and strength of students.
- All faculty meetings and group discussions are done in the seminar hall no.1 ,where as bigger workshops are organized in seminar hall no. 2.
- Both the halls are fully Air conditioned as well as having facility of Audio Visual.
Student Counselling Cell
The Career Counselling Cell of the college also plays vital role regarding their academic and provides enhancement services that help students in their placements. Teachers are asked to devote some time at least once a week on social values, changing trends of the world, new advancements and career options for the students to make them academically, emotionally and mentally strong to face the challenges of life. The college offers following convenience to the students:
- The students are guided and counselled to get their job placements by Counselling Cell of the college.
- They are given exposure to industry, institutions, banks etc. so that their employment issues could be addressed in a better way.
- The Career and Counselling Cell of the College interacts with HRs of the companies to collect information regarding current job scenario and expectations of the industry.
- Based on inputs, the institution enriches the curriculum by organising workshops on Personality Development and Communication Skills.
- Special Classes are arranged for the students to prepare them for various competitive exams to enable the students to become employable.
- Special counselling classes are arranged for students who are at risk of drop out so that they can be motivated and encouraged to pursue their studies more rigorously and shun their fear and anxiety.
Student Welfare Service
Fee Concession and Scholarship
Deserving students are granted fee concession by college. Student can also take benefit from the scholarships sponsored by Government/University as mentioned below:
- Post-Matric scholarship scheme (Indian Govt.)
- Scholarship from Punjab State Schedule Caste Welfare Society.
- Scholarship to student of Backward Class.
- Scholarship to student of Minorities (Sikhs, Muslims, Christians, Buddhists & Paresis etc.)
- Deserving students can get scholarships under the National Loan Schemes started by Indian Govt.
- Scholarships for handicapped students.
- More than 70% marks.
- Annual income less than Rs. 2 lacs.
From session 1990-91 a special matric scholarships were started by Late S. Chanan Singh Dosanj which are given to only deserving students.
Special Facilities for Deserving and Meritorious students:
- Students getting 1st, 2nd and 3rd in their academic sessions will get 30%, 25% and 20% fee concession so that the competitive spirit can be boosted up and student performance can be maintained.
- Needy students may get concessions from the college.
- Students getting merit in university or first position in University/Board will be given full fee concession.
- Merit holders will get free books for whole of the year from book bank on returnable basis.
Special concession for sports students:
- Student player will get concession on the basis of matches played at State or University Level.
- Every player of the team does not reserve the right for fee concession. Needy student player can apply for fee concession as normal student.
- While deciding fee concession for student players due consideration is given to discipline, good character, capability and conduct.
|Scholarship to SC Students of the College||79||500369||68||688899||46||551808||77||1757520||169||3771220|
|Scholarships to OBC Students||06||35346||12||120160||18||175931||05||112100||19||424900|
|Scholarships to Minority Students||18||92150||25||184851||-||-||08||142500||26||516000|
Guru Nanak College also provides transportation facility for girl students at very nominal charges. Six buses ply on the routes to nearby villages for transportation of the girl students.
- The old students always have passion for their alma mater and contribute in its progress.
- Old students from Surrey (Canada) contributed a bus for the Transport facility to girls.
- College also provides the free transportation facility for female faculty members.
- Our college buses are checked regularly and provided with pollution free stickers.
Hostel facility is available only for sportsmen. Hostel facility is available for the selected players. The players who come from far-off places can also reside in the hostel. A hosteller can avail the following facilities provided by college:
- All the sports persons in hostel are served a proper balanced diet and refreshment as per the sports coach guidelines.
- Hostellers can avail the library services even after the college.
- Hostellers can avail the internet facility till late evening.
- Basic first-aid is available at the college if required.
Only few class four employees are provided residential accommodation at campus.
Our college is also leading a collegiate school under a well disciplined principal who is capable enough to handle the staff and students both. School is running Arts, commerce and non medical streams for both 10+1 and 10+2.
- Science students can enhance their practical knowledge, using the science labs. We have chemistry as well as physics labs with enough equipments and chemicals that can be used in practicals by the students.
- Considering the need of the technical era, students have a subject of computer so that they can get in touch with the technology. Besides this those who are Techno savvy can avail the internet benefits in labs.
- It assists them to increase not only their curriculum knowledge but also sounds them technically also.
- Collegiate school has a stadium which is used for the college tournaments and regular practice of school students as well.